Tuesday, December 3, 2013

My Own Kit - May 2013 - Wrap Up

While May is about seven months in the past already, I only recently (does September/October count as recent?) finished using the kit I created for that month, and I'm going to include the rest of the layouts I created from that kit right here in one post.


First up, this layout about a new place Daniel and I discovered during a rare occasion of getting to go out to lunch together. I was able to use a pattern paper I admit wasn't my favorite as the background and scraps of coordinating patterned paper to blend it all together. I love the splashes of color here, and I liked putting the stamps I included in the kit to good use.


Next up, a page about my sweet husband, using a sketch from Shimelle Laine for the design, which appeals to me for its simplicity and versatility. I've used the sketch before, and I like how pages made with the same sketch can look so different.


Another one based on a Shimelle sketch, I like this page, though I'm a bit unaccustomed to such a small amount of journaling. I didn't really have anything profound to record about this photo, but I love it because it captures my nephew and his personality so well back then, and I wanted to create a page to display it.


This page about my Mom and a new chapter in her life presented a bit of a challenge because the photo included some specific information that I wanted to conceal. I used that area as an embellishment cluster, which worked well, and I liked using bits and pieces that pulled the whole layout together.


This page could've used a little more embellishment, maybe some mist in that big open space, but I do tend to prefer a less cluttered design, and those flowers in the corner of the paper are so gorgeous, I wanted them to stand out. Another Shimelle Laine sketch at work here, and again, I like the versatility.


This one's probably my favorite of the group. I came up with the idea for this layout before I even had a photo or story in mind. I had the title stickers leftover from a sheet I included in the kit, and it prompted me to think about how I played as a child. The photo is one of me when I was a kid, and even though I'm not playing, it fit the timeline of my journaling pretty well, and the whole thing came together. The little figure just at the bottom left edge of the picture was originally rather boyish, but I fixed that by drawing long hair with a brown marker. I was down to pretty bare remnants of the kit for this layout, so I used the stamps to create a coordinating pattern on white card stock for the background.


And last, this pretty page about a butterfly in our hedge one summer day. I had that one full sheet of patterned paper left in the kit, and a few scraps. I had to supplement with a stamp, spray ink, and some Thickers that weren't part of the kit. I used a shimmer pen to outline the image of the butterfly, a stamp from Stampin' Up! that I love and had been meaning to use for quite awhile. Really like this page.

I really enjoy creating My Own Kits and creating pages from them. I completed an entire album and several layouts from My Own Kit for June, which I haven't managed to photograph just yet. I also have kits for July, August, and September to use, and kits in the works for October and November. The December kit is all assembled. I've just been waiting for sunshine to take photos, and I may have to accept that isn't going to happen and do the best I can with the poor light I've got.

It is Michigan, after all...

To take a look at My Own Kit for May 2013, click here, and check out the other layouts I created from this kit here, here, and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment